Kaante (2002) Movie Synopsis
Kaante (2002) is an Action Thriller Bollywood movie released on 20 December 2002. Pritish Nandy, Sanjay Gupta, Lawrence Mortorff and Raju Patel co-produced the movie. Sanjay Gupta directed the movie in addition to co-written the movie.
Kaante (2002) Star Cast
Kaante (2002) features Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt, Sunil Sheety, Kumar Gaurav, Mahesh Manjrekar and Lucky Ali played the key roles in the movie.
Malaika Arora, Rati Agnihotri, Namrata Singh Gujral, Jeff, Davis, Ranjit Chowdhry, Ajay Vidure played important supporting roles in the movie.
Isha Kopikar and Ronit Roy made a special appearance in the song Ishq Samundar Dil Ke Andar.
Kaante (2002) Budget and Box Office Collection
Kaante (2002) received a big commercial success on box office. It collected 21 Cr in India and 43 Cr approximately (worldwide) against a Budget of 30 Cr. Approximately.
Kaante (2002) became the 3rd Highest Grossing Bollywood Movie of the year 2002 after Devdas and Aankhen.
Kaante (2002) Movie Plot
Major (Amitabh Bachchan), Ajju (Sanjay Dutt), Marc (Sunil Shetty), Andy (Kumar Gaurav), Bali (Mahesh Manjrekar) and Mack (Lucky Ali) belong to Indian origin and live in Los Angeles and know each other.
Police arrests all of them without any evidence doubting they are drug dealers. They released and arrested many more times without any evidences. The illegal act of Police made them angry for the police department and Ajju proposed to loot a bank, which provides fund for the Los Angeles Police.
All six have their own problems. Major’s (Amitabh Bachchan) wife (Rati Agnihotri) lies in the hospital bed and he needs lot of money for her treatment.
Andy’s (Kumar Gurav) wife Renu (Namrata Singh Gurjal) lives separately with Andy because he does not have money and spends most of his time in jail and cannot afford responsibility of their son. She even starts having an extra marital affair.
Mark (Sunil Shetty) works as a Boxer in a club owned by Cyrus (Gulshan Grover). He loves Lisa (Malaika Arora) who works as a dancer in the same club. Mark cannot control his anger and hence Cyrus fired him from the job. Mark wants Lisa to come with him but she denies because he has no home to live.
Andy denies to the proposal of Ajju to loot the Bank. However, Mark and Major accept the proposal.
Ajju (Sanjay Dutt), Bali (Mahesh Manjrekar) and Mack (Lucky Ali) are criminal and have no problem to rob the bank. Nevertheless, Andy too accepts the proposal and they all prepare a foolproof plan to rob the bank.
Finally, the day of robbery comes and all six easily rob and come out from bank with the looted money but shocked to see that police team waiting outside for them.
Firing starts from both sides and Mack (Lucky Ali) is injured with a bullet while he tries to save Major. Everyone finds his way to escape from the police but Major saves Mack from the police and returns to their secret place.
Major takes out Mack’s bullet and saves his life. In the meantime, all other team members reach at the place but now they know that someone among them has informed the police about their mission.
Ajju kidnaps the Detective MacQuarrie (Jeff Davis) and wants to know who the traitor among them is. However, they all shock to know when Detective informs them that one of them is an undercover cop.
Kaante (2002) Movie Review
The Director Sanjay Gupta and Yash-Vinay have written the screenplay of the movie is a very good one. The story has nothing new in and its a simple story of bank robbing which we have seen in many movies but the screenwriter and director give a different treatment to the film that makes the movie stand alone in its category.
The best part of the Kaante is its climax. The audience keeps guessing the traitor among the six but no formula works for this movie. The director left no clue for the audiences to know the traitor and the name of undercover cop.
The extraordinary treatment of the movie brought nominations for Best Film and Best Director Award in the 48th FIlmfare Awards 2003.
Apart from a shining screenplay and good direction, the screenwriter and director worked hard on every character in the movie and groomed the same with full fidelity.
Amitabh Bachchan, Mahesh Manjrekar and Sanjay Dutt were extremely good in their characters and they did it very ease. The received filmfare nominations for Best Actor, Best Actor in Comic Role and Best Supporting Actor, respectively in the 48th Filfmare Awards 2003.
Sunil Shetty, Lucky Ali and Gumar Gaurav were also good at their characters.
Rati Agnihotri remains on Hospital Bed and does not get much space to show her talent. Malaika Arora as a dancing girl appears super sexy.
Kaante having most positive things contains some shortcomings too. First the movie does not establish how the 6 robbers know each other. Second, they decide to rob the bank with some armature people like Major (Amitabh Bachchan) and Mark (Sunil Shetty). Even they don’t have criminal backgrounds.
Length of the movie could be shorter. Some scenes like Kumar Gaurav talks to his son seem unnecessarily stretched. Further, providing unnecessary flashbacks do not help the movie to lead further or to make any curiosity.
However, overall Kaante (2000) is a good movie to watch not only for Action Thriller lovers but also for family too.
Kaante (2002) Music and Songs
Anand Raj Anand, Vishal-Shekhar and Lucky Ali composed songs for the film. Dev Kohli and Vishal Dadlani penned the lyrics for the movie.
Himesh Reshamiya remade the famous song Ishq Samunder for his film Teraa Surroor.
Kaante has following 9 soundtraks
1. Ishq Samunder – Sung by Sunidhi Chahan and Anand Raj Anand – composed by Anand Raj Anand – Lyrics penned by Dev Kohli
2. Baby Baby – Sung by Sunidhi Chauhan – composed by Anand Raj Anand - Lyrics by Dev Kohli
3. Maahi Ve – Sung by Richa Sharma, Sukhwinder Singh and Zubeen Garg – composed by Anand Raj Anand
4. Yaar Maangiyasi – Sung by Sonu Nigam – composed by Anand Raj Anand
5. Jaane Kya Hoga Raama Re – Sung by Sanjay Dut, Shaan, Sudesh Bhosle, Aanand Raj Anand and Zubeen Garg – composed by Anand Raj Anand
6. Dil Kya Kare – Sung by Kvita Krishnamurthy and Kumar Shanu – composed by Anand Raj Anand
7. Chhod Na De – Sung by Udit Narayan, Sudesh Bhosle, Mahesh Manjrekar and Sanjay Dutt – composed by Vishal-Shekhar
8. Maut – Sung by Lucky Ali – composed by Lucky Ali
9. Socha Nahin Tha – Sung by Shaan – composed by Anand Raj Anand
Kaante (2002) Ratings
IMDB provides a rating of 6.4 out of 10 to the movie. However, Bollywood Product rates it as 7.5 out of 10 because of its good story, immaculate screenplay, good direction and implausible acting performances.
Kaante (2002) Awards and Nominations
• Kaante received six nominations in the 48th Filmfare Awards 2003.
• Kaante received nomination for Best Film Award in the 48th Filmfare Awards 2003. However, Devdas (2002) won the award.
• Sanjay Gupta received nomination for Filmfare Best Director Award in the year 2003.
• Amitabh Bachchan received nomination for Filmfare Best Actor category.
• Sanjay Dutt received nomination for Filmfare Best Supporting Actor category but Vivek Oberoi won the same for Company.
• Mahesh Manjrekar received nomination for Filmfare Best Comic Role. However, Paresh Rawal won the award for Awara Paagal Deewana.
• Anand Raj Anand also received nomination for Best Music Director for the movie.